Palette in oil painting – how to use it?
How to use a palette for oil painting, summary:
- Place paints on the palette in a certain sequence. For example, the cool paints vertically and the warm paints horizontally, in the rainbow sequence.
- If the colors will be adjacent on the artwork, they should be adjacent on the palette.
- After you are finished you can clean the paint with a palette knife and a rag. If you need to save the paint, put it in its tube and knock the bottom of the tube so that the paint falls inside.
- You can save the palette with the mixed colors in a dark and cold place, and then allow the paints to warm up before starting to work again.
- If it’s possible, avoid adding additional substances to the paint like thinners, lacquers and oils.*
*This does not apply in an underpainting. Since the layer of an underpainting is thin and its color is usually covered by the next layers of paint, the underpainting is usually painted with a proper thinner.